By Terry Corbell
The Biz Coach
5 Factors to Get Peak Google Results for Your Web Site – Study
What do top Web sites have in common? According to an authoritative study, successful sites produce a high number of Facebook and Twitter messages, but the sites minimize the volume of ads on its pages.
Those are the salient lessons from a 2012 study by Searchmetrics, a search and social analytics firm.
Leading brands also have an inherent competitive edge in Google search results, says Searchmetrics.
The study examined the results for 300,000 Web sites and 10,000 keywords to determine the relationships that lead to strong Google rankings. The connections between the sites and keywords were determined using a process known as “Spearman’s rank correlation coefficient.”
Charles Edward Spearman was an English psychologist (1863-1945). He was recognized for his success in statistics and factor analysis.
Searchmetric’s five salient conclusions:
- Social media signals show extremely high correlation: social signals from Facebook, Twitter and Google+ are frequently associated with good rankings in Google’s index. This is interesting in particular for the UK, which hasn’t had such a strong correlation with social signals up to this point.
- Too much advertising is detrimental: for the first time we are seeing sites with too many advertisements struggling to rank well. However, the problem correlates only to AdSense adblockers.
- Backlinks are still important but quantity is not the only important thing: even though the number of backlinks is still the most powerful factor, links with stop words and ‘nofollow’ should also be included in the link-mix.
- Brands leverage classic SEO signals: apparently pages with strong brands do not need be as concerned with the areas of title tags, headings etc. According to our figures, this group operates under different rules.
- Keyword domains still frequently attract top results: despite all the rumors to the contrary, keyword domains are still alive and well and are often in the top rankings.
From the Coach’s Corner, here are related resource links:
- Checklist: 14 Strategies to Rock on Google
- Web Site ‘Priming’ – 6 Tips That Will Help You Succeed
- How Small Businesses Can Capitalize on Cyber Strategies for Profit
- Tips, Plus Why it’s Never Too Early to Plan for Q4 E-commerce
- Best Practices to Optimize Your Brand, Manage Your Web Reputation
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to use the Internet and they won’t bother you for weeks.
Author Terry Corbell has written innumerable online business-enhancement articles, and is a business-performance consultant and profit professional. Click here to see his management services. For a complimentary chat about your business situation or to schedule him as a speaker, consultant or author, please contact Terry.